Plumbing DIY Safety
When it comes to Do-It-Yourself projects of any kind, including plumbing, the first safety tip is this: know yourself before you attempt to repair or install anything in your home. If you don’t have the experience or confidence to fix plumbing problems, do yourself a favor and seek professional help from Sacramento’s plumbing professionals, Crystal Blue Plumbing – better safe than sorry.
- Don’t mix chemicals. Mixing an acid and an alkali cleaner can cause an explosion.
- Only flush toilet paper down the drain, no other paper or plastic products. Use bleach and other cleaners sparingly.
- Don’t look down the drain after pouring a chemical. The solution often boils up and gives off toxic fumes.
- It is important to avoid any exposure to raw sewage, and to carefully wash your hands.
- If steam or boiling water ever comes out of the valve or the hot water faucets, shut the heater off at once.
- Care should always be taken when working with pipes that could contain steam or hot water, and eye or face shields and insulated gloves should be used.
- If your water heater ever makes a rumbling sound, assume the heater is overheating and turn it off.
- Because plumbing work is often done on wet surfaces, wearing shoes with rubber soles is important.
- Leave Difficult Tasks to Professionals: If you are an amateur trying your hand at plumbing in your household, you should consider using Sacramento’s plumbing experts, Crystal Blue Plumbing. Many problems require the services of professionals who have the right training and tools, along with years of plumbing experience.