How to Choose a Service Company
Hiring a qualified service company for your home can end up being a wonderful experience or a nightmare. It is important to have a basic understanding of what to look out for. Whether its plumbing, Air Conditioning, Heating, Electric or Drain Clearing in Sacramento, how do you choose a service company or contractor? Sure, you can choose a random name out of the phone book, but how long have they been in business? What about testimonials? Are they insured? Here are a few things to think about to help point you in the right direction.
- Use Referrals. It is always good to begin by talking with family friends and neighbors. Ask them who they recommend and if they would use them again.
- Ask about Prices. Keep in mind though that the cheapest company isn’t always the best. Ask about regular rates and if there are any other service charges, like dispatch fees & after hours fees. Be sure to ask how they pay their technicians. This is important because when technicians are paid commission they must sell you something to make money. Whereas technicians paid by the hour get paid whether they do work for you or not.
- Ask About their Experience. How long have they been in business? How many times have they done what you need, for example installing a water heater, installing air conditioning, clearing our drains, etc. A competent service contractor that focuses on repairs & emergencies may not be qualified to put an addition onto your home, and vice verse.
- Find out if they are Licensed, Insured, and State-Certified. It is a good idea to call and check if their license and certification are current & in good standing. Also, be sure to verify they have liability insurance and have workman’s compensation. This will help protect you and your home.
- Ask About Getting a Written Estimate. States like California, for example, protects consumers from being charged a certain percentage above a written estimate without signed consent. Getting a written estimate will help ensure you won’t be surprised with a huge bill at the end of the job.
- Ask for References. A good service provider wants you to know and see his work experience. Be sure to ask for and call references, asking if they were satisfied with the workmanship, price, and if there were any communication problems.
- Check them out on the Internet. Take a few minutes to look at their website, read some of their testimonials. Are they members of the Better Business Bureau? Check a few of the local review sites: SmartGuy.com, Yelp, Yahoo Local, Google maps, Insider pages, Angie’s list and others.
While there is no guarantee you will be completely satisfied with your service company, asking these simple questions will help you choose a service company to assist you with your service needs, whether it’s emergency air conditioning services, unwanted plumbing repairs, or a major drain clog, You’ll will save money, time and headaches that can happen when you hire an unqualified contractor. Hope this Helps!
Need Service Now? 916-577-5020