Cheap & Easy Repairs to Lower Energy Bills
Last month Ron Figurela asked our expert plumbers in Sacrament and Loomis a question that we hear a lot. “What are some easy and inexpensive fixes you can do yourself, to lower energy bills?
In a ravished economy, we all look for ways to save costs. My favorite energy tip is to install a new solar powered clothes dryer…..an outdoor clothesline!
Here are five great ways to stick a fork in your energy bills.
- Light Bulbs– Traditional light bulbs give off 90% heat and only 10% light. By using compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs you can lower your lighting bill by 40%, plus improve the environmental impact. I recommend changing all your old lights to new (CFL) bulbs and remember to check with your local utility company and www.energystar.gov for rebates and free bulbs.
- Windows & Doors– Air leakages are your largest source of energy loss. Proper sealing of cracks and air leaks around your windows and doors can have an instant impact on your energy usage. You can purchase low or no VOC caulking from any hardware store. I recommend 5 to 8 tubes depending on the size of your home. Happy caulking!
- Insulation– Adding insulation is best way to get the most bang for your buck! Attics, crawlspaces and outlets will have the most energy lost. We always recommend a free home energy audit to learn more. Contact your local utility company for more information. They will guide you on what type, how much insulation & where to place it. Always check for rebates!
- Programmable Thermostats– You don’t leave your vehicle on while you sleep do you. Well, maybe if you are in Alaska. So, why do you heat or cool your house when you’re gone? The new thermostats have 24hr programmable settings that enable you to only run energy when you are inside your home. Once set correctly you can save 25% or more on your heating and cooling bills. Always check for rebates!
- Showers– I don’t recommend showering less! Cutting shower times are no fun either. Putting on a low flow shower head is cheap and easy. An EPA low flow shower head can cut your water bill by 30%. Check with your water company about free low flow shower heads and rebates
Have a question for our Sacramento plumbing, heating & Air Conditioning experts? Contact us and maybe we will use your question next month!